RE: WebFonts ready for use

From: Paul Nelson (ATC) <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:39:21 -0700
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Based on discussions with font developers who are up to speed on the technology, they view this as a threat that they intend to treat like any other public posting of their IP to the Web. So they will deal with each occurrence the old fashioned way with cease and desist notices. A few non-traditional font makers see the possibility of a "market" for Web fonts, but no one really has any concrete ideas on a business model.

The main concern voiced is "casual piracy" where the average person simply uses or has fonts installed by web pages without realizing that the UA was just being "helpful".