RE: WebFonts ready for use

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:09:20 +0200
To: "Paul Nelson (ATC)" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Paul Nelson wrote:

 > > I'm happy to see the discussions on WebFonts. I also think it's
 > > important that people on this list start playing with WebFonts. There

 > Based on discussions with font developers who are up to speed on
 > the technology, they view this as a threat that they intend to
 > treat like any other public posting of their IP to the Web.

You're right, some designers think that way. I think we'll be fine
without their fonts on the web. However, other designers are happy to
see their fonts used as WebFonts and it's good to have three
(seemingly) interoperable implemenation that can handle the examples
on this page:

  http://www.princexml.com/howcome/2008/webfonts/

Here's a an example of a license that is highly compatible with the
WebFonts way of thinking:

  http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL

The beautiful Gentium font uses the SIL license:

  http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium

Cheers,

-h&kon