Re: [css3-mediaqueries] parsing

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:50:26 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> To match existing implementations better and also to give better forward
> compatible parsing rules maybe we should do it as follows:
>
> * A violation of the basic syntax will cause the list of media queries
> to be ignored.

I don't agree with this. I think better forward-compatible parsing rules
would be to follow the parse-strings-match-brackets rules used in CSS
declaration blocks and to drop only the affected media query, not the
whole list.

> * An unknown media type, media feature, or unknown media feature value
> will cause the respective media query to be ignored, but not the whole
> list of media queries.

See David Baron's message and my reply

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0050.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0053.html