Re: [css] List of all CSS properties

On Tuesday 01 April 2008 18:44, Olivier Thereaux wrote:

> Bert, you said that the list you generate is for internal use, but
> would there be any obstacle to either opening that list for public
> consumption (with whatever disclaimer is applicable) or providing the
> scripts for others to use? This could help people like Jens, Rijk,
> Jason, and Björn keep their lists up to date.

No problem sharing the script. The reason I haven't made my results
public is that such scripts always require a bit of maintenance and I
won't commit to maintaining it.

I have attached the script that I use:

* list-all-properties.sh

This Bash script extracts all links from the status table in the CSS
roadmap[1] and then follows those links to look for property
definitions, i.e., tables with class "propdef."

The script can be run by hand, but I actually call it from a cron job
that runs the script and also uploads the output to the Web server.

The script uses a couple of other programs, in particular: curl
(available for most distributions of Unix), xselect & wls (from my
HTML-XML-utils[2]).

The xselect program uses selectors to extract elements from an HTML/XML
document and it should be easy enough to extract other information
about properties than just the name and the ID, as the script does now.

* all-properties.html

This is a sample of what the script produces: a very simple table of
property names with links to their specifications.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/Tools/HTML-XML-utils/
    I think there is a version in DarwinPorts for Mac OS X.
    The Debian package is apparently not yet ready.

Bert