Re: [becss] "Behavioral Extensions to CSS" computed value question

David Woolley wrote:

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> Beg my pardon but why do you think that this line
>>
>>   bind: url(javascript:MyBehavior);
>>
>> is less safe than say:
>>
>>   bind: url(http://...MyBehavior.xul); -> MyBehavior.js
>>

> Because, in the second case, it is relatively easy to selectively block
> the executable content at the firewall.
>
> Also, although javascript: is not a genuine URI scheme, but rather a
> Netscape proprietary features, data: is a genuine one, and would also
> allow one to bypass the firewall.  I'd therefore suggest that either
> data: schemes be banned in this context, or that the specification
> should advise implementors to disable them by default.  Disabling them
> by default still makes one vulnerable to people who think they know
> better than the network managers.

Sorry but I missed you again.

So you say that for safety reasons you will disable xml to be passed
through firewall?

Speaking from security impression perspective I think that:

   bind: "script-reference-of-behavior-object";

is more safe (whatever it means) than

   bind: url(http://...behavior.xul);

as the first one can be disabled by "Do not run any JS" settings. At least.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com