[CSS3 Text] Thoughts on hanging-punctuation property

From: Daniel Aleksandersen <aleksandersen+w3clists@runbox.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 01:37:46 +0200

Hi list,

(This email uses Unicode characters. Make sure your email client and font
supports rich punctuation and Unicode.)

Regarding the current draft for the hanging-punctuation property:
http://w3.org/TR/2007/WD-css3-text-20070306/#hanging-punctuation

I want to see more values for the property. Currently the following are
drafted (from the above web page).
none | [ start || end || end-edge ]

These are the once I would like to see instead:
none | [ start || left-edges || edges || end || right-edges ]

As everyone can see I use plural in ‘edges’ to clarify that it will apply on
multiple edges. I also changed it from start and end to left and right
edges; to further clarify which edges will get hanging‐punctuation. Another
reason for doing this is that ‘left hanging‐punctuation’ is a common term
in typography. Further more I added ‘edges’—equal to hanging-punctuation:
left-edges right-edges; but faster to write—for simplicity.

And there is a really To answer a question on the page ‘Which marks are
affected?‘: All characters from the General, and Supplemental Punctuation
blocks as per the Unicode standard must appear as hanging. The most correct
method is to have any punctuation appear as hanging; including ( [ . - and
anything else. The only exceptions would POSSIBLY be U+2052 COMMERCIAL
MINUS SIGN and any other punctuation mark that appears with U+20 SPACE—or
any other space character—on both sides.
--
Daniel Aleksandersen