BR element and generated content

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:55:19 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Markus Mielke <mmielke@windows.microsoft.com>, Saloni Mira Rai <salonir@microsoft.com>, Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
CSS2.1 default stylesheet defines <BR> element as

br:before       { content: "\A" }

If taken literally, this means

1)      Generated content is applicable to <BR>

2)      If a non-default stylesheet clears br:before it should not break line lines.

I am not sure these are intended consequences of this definition in the default stylesheet. Or are they?

Note that none of current browsers implement (2) and I believe only opera has generated content have any effect on <BR>.