Re: [CSS3 Text] Thoughts on hanging-punctuation property

From: Daniel Aleksandersen <aleksandersen+w3clists@runbox.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 00:43:45 +0200

Hi yet again,

Here is a little text-book clarification about hung punctuation:

‘Small punctuation marks (commas, periods, hyphens, apostrophes, asterisk,
and quotation marks) have less weight than full-size characters and, when
set inside the measure, may create visual indents in the flush vertical
alignment. For this reason, you may wish to consider setting small
punctuation marks outside the measure in order not to disturb the vertical
type alignment. When punctuation marks set outside the type measure, they
are referred to as “hung” punctuation (1).

‘Larger punctuation marks (colons, semicolons, question marks, and
exclamation points), which have the same visual weight as full-size
characters, are set within the the measure. The em-dash, because of it's
length, is also set within the measure. […]’
― © James Craig, Designing with Type (Fifth Edition, 2006), page 90

This is what I have been trying to explain. Though I would add guillemets,
[backward] slash, parentheses, and brackets to the small punctuation group;
and horizontal bar, en-dash, currency symbols, etc. etc. to the large
punctuation group.

Note that I have seen horizontal bars/em-dashes halfway hung. Like in on of
my earlier examples from Adobe's website.
--
Daniel Aleksandersen