Re: [CSS3] Generated content: environment variables

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:35:22 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>, www-style@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Grant, Melinda wrote:
>> Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were advocating standardizing some
>> kind of complicated layering or shuffling of ua/author/user content in
>> margin boxes.
>
> Oh, and just to make it clear, that was an off-the-cuff
> brainstorming-type suggestion.  I agree that it would be very
> complicated to specify, much less implement, so I'm not sure it's a good
> solution.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any "good" solutions here.  :(

I think for the CSS spec, using the cascade is a good solution. Afaik
the spec doesn't prohibit user !important rules from being influenced
by the content somehow or derived from complex manipulation of external
and content-derived input. Figuring out the set of headers that best
represents the user's wants can be the UA's UI problem, and different
UAs can come up with different solutions. The desired header settings
can then be poured into the cascade at the user !important level.

~fantasai