Re: [CSS21] Case-insensitivity not defined

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:43:14 -0500
To: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>

Addison Phillips wrote:

> Hi Fantasai,
>
> Interestingly, this question came up in my review of XmlHttpRequest just
> yesterday. I believe that what you want is:
>
> - You want to define it in terms of the Unicode definition.
>
> - You also probably want to define it in deterministic terms, rather
> than allowing it to be language sensitive. This means *not* using
> SpecialCasing.txt or language-specific tailorings (e.g. the
> Turkish/Azerbaijani dotted/dotless i mappings).

I'd be happy with that if [a-z] and [A-Z] matched each other and didn't
match anything else. But it seems that's not the case in Unicode.

> I would tend to say that otherwise you want case-insensitivity to apply
> regardless of script (for all scripts that have a script distinction).
> Or, to address your questions:
>
> fantasai wrote:
>>
>> Henri Sivonen brings up the point that ASCII case-insensitivity and
>> Unicode case-insensitivity are not the same and that we should define
>> what we want for CSS. For example, should WIDTH and WİDTH match?
>
> No, they shouldn't.
>
>> WİDTH and width?
>
> Hmm... probably these should.

If WİDTH and width match, and width and WIDTH match, then WİDTH and WIDTH
need to match.

I personally don't think WİDTH or the dotless i should match the 'i' in
CSS syntax.

~fantasai