Re: Parsing media queries

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:34:43 +0200
Cc: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Nov 14, 2007, at 15:40, fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> I intend to implement media query parsing in isolation of the rest
>> of CSS because HTML 5 reuses the media query syntax in attribute
>> values.
>> A couple of comments about the spec:
>> It seems to me that whitespace is allowed around tokens. I don't
>> see where this is specified. The spec doesn't make a normative
>> reference to the CSS3 Syntax module.
>> It isn't clear how the parser should recover when a query in a list
>> fails to parse. Should the parser look for a comma?
>
> See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Nov/0119.html
> Split on commas and ignore sections you don't recognize.

Thanks.

Does that mean ignoring for UA processing but counting as errors as
far as validation goes?

As for empty strings, these are all errors, right?
"all,"
",all"
"print,,screen"

As Anne pointed out, the whitespace issue still remains.

Also, are the keywords supposed to be tokenized as idents from CSS3
Syntax and then compared against a list of known names or are the key
words in theory part of the low level syntax? (I supposed this only
makes a difference for what error message would be right.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi