[CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

From: Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 19:57:55 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Having special rules for <body> in HTML but not in XHTML makes it harder
for authors to switch to and from XHTML.

There are lots and lots of pages that rely on the magicness in HTML. So it
can't be removed from HTML.

There are very few XHTML pages on the Web. Some of them might look
incorrect because the author thought the <body> was magic, but it wasn't
(resulting in e.g. the <body>'s background not covering the canvas). (I've
seen such documents, told the author about this incompatibility, and then
got it "fixed".) I think literally not a single document relies on it
*not* being magic. Making it magic for XHTML would thus not break any
documents.

I don't think it's too late to make the special rules that apply to HTML

I think these are the special properties:

  * 'background-color'
  * 'background-image'
  * 'overflow'

I know this has been proposed before. I still think it should be
considered again.

Regards,
--
Simon Pieters