Re: [CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 19:07:19 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

Simon Pieters wrote:
> Having special rules for <body> in HTML but not in XHTML makes it harder
> for authors to switch to and from XHTML.
> There are lots and lots of pages that rely on the magicness in HTML. So
> it can't be removed from HTML.
> There are very few XHTML pages on the Web. Some of them might look
> incorrect because the author thought the <body> was magic, but it wasn't

To be hardline, though: authors that do not understand these types of
differences between XHTML and HTML should not switch, then. If they get
caught out by the non-magic behaviour of <body>, then they're probably
(and I'll make a sweeping generalisation) the types of authors that
don't quite know why they should be moving to XHTML in the first place
and are only doing it because "it's fashionable" nowadays.

Patrick H. Lauke