Re: CSS3 idea: pad-to

David Woolley wrote:
>> But what is a "virtual containing block"? An enclosing <div>? I find those an
>
> Use of the ::outside selector
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-content-20030514/#wrapping>

I have no idea how this would help me. I'm not sure if I don't understand you,
or you don't understand me?

  From the spec, an ::outside block wraps one single element (or group of
elements if you use ::before/::after).

However, I don't see how this has anything to do with fluid grids at all. You
can't, so far as I see, write this:

   <ul>
    <li>A</li>
    <li>B</li>
    <li>C</li>
   </ul>

And have this CSS wrap all three list items in a single ::outside block:

   li::outside { ... }

Each <li> will get its own outside block.

For a fluid grid, this means nothing anyway. For example, supposing there's room
for two elements abreast in the window. The first two list items will be a fluid
row, the third will be on a new row.

The only way you'll know which are on which row is when you perform the layout.

I don't understand why it seems so hard to explain such a concept to anyone! By
"replacing" tables, I am not trying to REPLICATE table behaviour (that's what
display: table is for) but trying to find a saner alternative with benefits that
tables just cannot provide, primarily, that the assignment of colums and rows is
made by the browser at render-time.