W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > February 2007

Re: CSS3 idea: pad-to

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:08:58 -0800
Message-ID: <004501c7589b$0e7062d0$3501a8c0@TERRA>
To: "Daniel Beardsmore" <public@telcontar.net>, <www-style@w3.org>

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Daniel Beardsmore" <public@telcontar.net>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: CSS3 idea: pad-to

> David Woolley wrote:
>>> But what is a "virtual containing block"? An enclosing <div>? I find 
>>> those an
>> Use of the ::outside selector
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-content-20030514/#wrapping>
> I have no idea how this would help me. I'm not sure if I don't understand 
> you,
> or you don't understand me?
>  From the spec, an ::outside block wraps one single element (or group of
> elements if you use ::before/::after).
> However, I don't see how this has anything to do with fluid grids at all. 
> You
> can't, so far as I see, write this:
>   <ul>
>    <li>A</li>
>    <li>B</li>
>    <li>C</li>
>   </ul>
> And have this CSS wrap all three list items in a single ::outside block:
>   li::outside { ... }
> Each <li> will get its own outside block.
> For a fluid grid, this means nothing anyway. For example, supposing 
> there's room
> for two elements abreast in the window. The first two list items will be a 
> fluid
> row, the third will be on a new row.
> The only way you'll know which are on which row is when you perform the 
> layout.
> I don't understand why it seems so hard to explain such a concept to 
> anyone! By
> "replacing" tables, I am not trying to REPLICATE table behaviour (that's 
> what
> display: table is for) but trying to find a saner alternative with 
> benefits that
> tables just cannot provide, primarily, that the assignment of colums and 
> rows is
> made by the browser at render-time.

I still do not understand the idea.
(Probably it makes sense to draw some illustration?)

At the meantime probably this question will help:

How is "fluid grid" different from:

   ul > li { display:inline-block; float: left }

for the markup above?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
Received on Sunday, 25 February 2007 05:09:14 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:27:27 UTC