Re: specificity, user style sheets and SVG

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:34:04 +0000
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, www-style@w3.org, SVG List <www-svg@w3.org>
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

re: Opera, I checked the user style sheet was working in html... Why
did you find Opera USS.css was working in SVG? I can re-check if so.

regarding IE5.2 bear in mind this is on OS X. ASV is fine , but all
style sheets appear greyed out, which is weird given one is in a
dialogue searching for a user style sheet. However it may be that
this was a result of limited MS support for IE on OS X.
I'm not sure as I never used it much.
ie5.2: explorer,preferences, web content, show style sheets, use my
style sheet, select style sheet: [anything.css] all greyed out.

Jonathan Chetwynd

On 9 Feb 2007, at 18:39, Chris Lilley wrote:

On Friday, February 9, 2007, 3:20:21 PM, Jonathan wrote:

JC> Boris,

JC> I haven't (yet) completed an authoritative analysis of current UA
JC> behaviour in this respect.

JC> however using a user style sheet:
JC> :link, :visited { text-decoration: underline ! important }

JC> this worked well with many html pages, however with svg it
appears it
JC> may not for Opera, Amaya and Camino

In Opera, did you say in the preferences that you wanted to apply a
user stylesheet?

Pseudoclasses work on SVG in Opera (tested on 9.10 under Win XP)

JC> I wasn't able to enable ie5.2 to accept a user style sheet.
Its possible to do. Please see

However, do you mean that you were not able to get an SVG plug in,
running in IE, to apply user style sheet?

  Interaction Domain Leader
  Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
  W3C Graphics Activity Lead
  Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG