Re: CSS Generated content selection

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 09:14:21 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Spartanicus wrote:
> I disagree. If the CSS generated content is used appropriately by
> authors, i.e. for presentational purposes only, then only the content
> proper without presentation should be selectable in a UA.

I think the real problem is that the HTML <q> element was badly thought
out.  In practice it is very rarely used and violates graceful
degradation policies.

In general, it is correct that copying in plain text mode should not
include any generated content.  However, copying in richer formats
probably ought to, although, if possible, should maintain the
distinction between styling and content. That's not possible to do with
HTML fragments, because generated content cannot always be in style
attributes, so style sheet rules would need to be carried over and
pasted in the appropriate place.  There isn't standard OS support for
this, so it would only work within a coordinated suite of applications.