RE: [CSS3 Paged Media] Page collapsing

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:13:57 -0500
To: "Allan Sandfeld Jensen" <kde@carewolf.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

Thanks, Allan.

> > > Well, I'm missing it if it's there...  (That, of course, wouldn't
be
> > > a first. ;-)  Could you point me to the pertinent text?
> >
> > AFAIK it doesn't really tell.
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-CSS21-20060411/page.html does say
> > something about generating less blank pages for when elements are
> > positioned, but not when blank pages are created using page-break-*
> > properties. (Well, except for left and right values...)

> 13.3.4 Forced page breaks
> A page break must occur at (1) if, among the 'page-break-after'
> and 'page-break-before' properties of all the elements generating
boxes that meet at this margin, there is at least one > with the value
'always', 'left', or 'right'.

I agree this statement seems to imply that multiple applicable
page-break properties should collapse.  But I think it's a bit easy to
miss (I have to say that, don't I, since I missed it? ;-), and of course
it doesn't specifically forbid multiple page breaks...  I think it
should be made it a bit clearer, since different implementers have made
differing interpretations.  And, as Anne has pointed out, there are some
subtle corner cases that should be called out.

Best wishes,

Melinda