Re: floats vs. page breaks

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:26:43 -0500
To: Joe Wells <sllewbj@blueyonder.co.uk>, W3C CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Joe Wells wrote:
>> What if the paged media is 100px long, and your float is 120px? Now
>> it will not print at all. Or will it? Well, that entirely depends on
>> what we mean by "page break".
>
> I assume this case would be handled the same way as if the float (or
> any other box for that matter) is too wide, namely it will overflow.

Actually, in this case the float should page-break.  Especially because
of the hundreds of pages that have _all_ of their content inside huge
floats (e.g. multi-column layouts on today's web).

I agree that this is somewhat orthogonal to the original question, which
is an interesting one.

Note however, that the use of floats for drop-caps has issues in screen
media too, e.g. if there is a tall float above the paragraph in question...

-Boris