Re: floats vs. page breaks

From: Joe Wells <sllewbj@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:04:52 +0100
To: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com> writes:

> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 06:44, Joei
>> Comments?
>
> Very interesting problem.

Thanks.  ☺  I was hoping the answer would not be "very interesting
problem", because that means there is no good solution.

>> Is there a solution?
>
> Well, you could set orphans up to number of lines the drop cap/float
> covers, but besides that it would be a very hard problem to solve.
>
> So if a drop cap covers three lines, then set orphans to 3.

That indeed seems like it could work in the case where drop caps are
scaled text.  Perhaps a note to this effect should accompany the
suggestion in the CSS standard about how to do drop caps via a style
on :first-letter.

Unfortunately, this will not be a reliable solution for image floats,
because they won't be scaled with the text fonts when the user decides
to have a different font size.

Thanks for your thoughts!

--
Joe