Re: floats vs. page breaks

Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Joe Wells wrote:
>>> What if the paged media is 100px long, and your float is 120px?
>>> Now it will not print at all. Or will it? Well, that entirely
>>> depends on what we mean by "page break".
>>
>> I assume this case would be handled the same way as if the float
>> (or any other box for that matter) is too wide, namely it will
>> overflow.
>
> Actually, in this case the float should page-break.  Especially
> because of the hundreds of pages that have _all_ of their content
> inside huge floats (e.g. multi-column layouts on today's web).

Interesting.  I didn't know people did that.  :-(

What should be done when the float is one big image, perhaps with a
short 1-line caption above or below?  (I hope the page is not broken
between the image and the caption in this case!)

> I agree that this is somewhat orthogonal to the original question,
> which is an interesting one.
>
> Note however, that the use of floats for drop-caps has issues in
> screen media too, e.g. if there is a tall float above the paragraph
> in question...

I have been handling that by putting a empty block with the property
setting "clear: left" before each of my floats.

Of course, now I need to figure out a completely new way of doing
things.

--
Joe