[CSS3 proposal] background-attachement: absolute

From: Jordan OSETE <jordan.osete@laposte.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 07:38:49 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

Hello,
I have thought that it would be a good idea to allow the background
position to depend on the first parent with relative or absolute
position, pretty much like the position: absolute; for boxes

Taken from the CSS2.1 spec:
"In the absolute positioning model, a box is explicitly offset with
respect to its containing block."

It can be useful, for example, for menus that do not have a fixed
position but still would have a global background image for the whole
menu. For example with the complexspiral demo example [1], you could
just have a bgimage fixed to the menu.

If we do that, we could as well have a background-attachement:
absolute-scroll, and another absolute-local; that would allow the
scrolling (or not) of the background with the element its position is
based on.

Jordan Osete

-------
[1] http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/demo.html