Re: [css3-gcpm] New WD: Generated Content for Paged Media

Hi Bert

Nice to see the update on this. The "named strings" feature first
described in the CSS3 Generated Content WD (http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/
WD-css3-content-20030514/#strings) mentions that "Named strings
follow the same nesting rules as counters". Causing strings to be
scoped in this way limits their practicality outside of page margins
- for example:

<head>
     meta[name="author"]   { string-set:author attr(content) }
     author                { content:string(author) }
</head>

won't work, because the named string falls out of scope when the head
is closed.

Unlike counters there's no facility to nest strings, for example
"content:strings(author)", and I'm not sure it would serve a
practical purpose if there was - so I doubt there's any point in
having them scoped and a simple "last one parsed" would be more
useful. However as the older WD says they are and the new WD doesn't
mention scope at all, if might be an idea to clarify it in the new WD.

Cheers... Mike
Mike Bremford - CTO             mike@big.faceless.org
Big Faceless Organization     http://big.faceless.org