Re: Web Fonts

From: Ben Ward <ben@ben-ward.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:22:32 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

On 17 Aug 2006, at 17:00, Jan Brasna wrote:
> What comes to my mind is licensing. I haven't found anything about
> this in the specs - does that mean that the font file has to have
> some kind of a free licensing scheme to be effectively put online
> for usage like this?

It's perhaps the same as any other licensing issue of the web, such
as licenses to reproduce images on a website. In practice, I'm not
sure I see it as a CSS spec issue to fix that problem. That said, it
was discussed at length a few months ago.

As I see it, there are many potential routes for font foundries to
control the redistribution of their fonts: Centralising the location
and only allowing downloads when the referrer header is on an
approved list of licensed sites? DRM? Trust and honesty? I think so
long as the CSS implementation doesn't do anything to impede such
hypothetical authentication/control mechanisms that commercial
foundries could implement at any point, it doesn't need to do
anything more.

Ben