Re: Simple template-based editing

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:24:16 +0200
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Robin Berjon wrote:
>> The downside of an attribute is getting multiple views of the same
>> document, one editable, one not (or further, with different parts
>
> No, this is never going to happen. I worked for Grif and Grif was able
> to render multiple views of the same DOM. None of our clients at that time,
> and that included people doing collaborative editing, aeronautics, defense,
> pharmaceutical industry and governments, none of them ever needed to have
> editability on per-views basis because it would imply a security problem.

Sorry, I was unclear, I didn't mean simultaneous views. I was more
thinking of the same document, unmodified, going through a variety of
stages. For instance when at the "author" stage you can edit everything
but when at the "subeditor" stage you can only edit h1,h2...

>> editable). And I doubt that it would be possible to argue for putting
>> it in the XML namespace.
>
> I said xml:editable as I could say foobar:editable as soon as foobar
> namespace is a generic inclusion for all xml dialects. We're speaking of something
> that is completely dialect-agnostic here.

Sure, any new namespace is a generic inclusion for all XML dialects. The
'xml' one is special, hence my remark.

>> I think attaching it using selectors or XPath is great -- they don't
>> have to be limited to style. Making it a CSS property is another
>> question and I agree it shouldn't be there.
>
> Just think of user stylesheets... Editability should definitely NOT
> be overridable. This is an author-only feature.

Well, presumably the server would check what's been done so it wouldn't
be harmful per se. Just very rarely useful.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist