Re: Simple template-based editing

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:57:06 +0200
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman wrote:
> That's a neat idea, but, again, I think the path opened by MSIE **SEVEN**
> years ago was a good one. And because I think (a) this is not
> presentational
> but behavioral (b) this is not only for HTML, I believe we should have an
> xml:editable attribute.

The downside of an attribute is getting multiple views of the same
document, one editable, one not (or further, with different parts
editable). And I doubt that it would be possible to argue for putting it
in the XML namespace.

> If this happens to be impossible for almost religious reasons, then I
> _could_ live with such a solution but it would be quite bad design, IMHO.

I think attaching it using selectors or XPath is great -- they don't
have to be limited to style. Making it a CSS property is another
question and I agree it shouldn't be there.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist