Re: CSS selectors and xml:id

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:57:48 +0000 (UTC)
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, www-style@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:

>>> If an implementation supports CSS 2.1 and also supports xml:id, then
>>> the xml:id attribute must be treated as an ID for the purposes of CSS
>>> selector processing.
>>
>> This would be very bad because it would leave other ID-based APIs (such
>> as getElementById) ignorant of xml:id.
>
> Um, as you would say, getElementById is out of scope of CSS. The wording
> above does not affect xml:id processing in any way. It merely adds a
> conditional conformance clause on CSS implementations to actually do
> something with the reported value.

But it would mean that implementations would be required to support xml:id
for CSS, but not for the DOM (since there is no equivalent clause for the
DOM), which is not sanely implementable.

If you want xml:id to be supported by UAs, then that is something that
should affect every ID-related aspect of the UAs. It has nothing to do
with CSS.

>> Fix the problem at the source, not at the symptom.
>
> I'm not seeing a problem.

Neither am I. You're the one who wants the spec to change. :-)