RE: CSS selectors and xml:id

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:55:08 +0000 (UTC)
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, www-style@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Paul Grosso wrote:

> In that thread, the XML Core WG responded saying that we were changing
> the spec to refer to "ID type assignment", and you responded at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-id/2005Feb/0004 that this
> satisfied you.  Do you believe that the wording at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/CR-xml-id-20050208/ is still problematic in
> this regard?

It satisfies me, because it means the spec is well-defined, is testable,
and is unambiguously implementable. It leaves open the issue of which spec
actually makes things work; as the spec now explicitly states:

# Application-level processing of IDs, including which elements can
# actually be addressed by which ID values, is beyond the scope of this
# specification.
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/#terminology

This basically means xml:id can't be addressed by anything until a spec
goes ahead and says that xml:id attributes assign an ID to an element.