Re: Editorial Comment on CSS3 Values and Units (and perhaps other specs)

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> See <http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Punctuation>, if you think this
> section should be changed, see the SotD for where to send comments. Note
> that people often copy and paste text from W3C Technical Reports into
> mails, usenet article, other web pages, etc. and there is often lack for
> support for non-ascii characters in the relevant software. Even W3C's
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2004Apr/ list
> archive is not particularly good at handling those.

That states,

Remember you are typing HTML or XML not TeX. Use quotation marks rather
than grave accents and apostrophes to quote text (e.g., ``value'' should
read "value").

In other words, they're saying to use double quotes, not two single
quotes. The curliness or lack thereof of the quotes isn't really
discussed. However, it does make sense to ask them to make it explicit
that curly quotes are good. I'll cc my original message to them.