Re: [CSS21] Nested Counters and Scope

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:58:29 -0500
To: Geoff Soutter <geoff@volantis.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Geoff Soutter wrote:
> What exactly is meant by a "later 'counter-reset' on the same element"?

p { counter-reset: mycounter 1 mycounter 2 mycounter; }

That has three counter-resets on the same element for the same counter; the
scope of the reset to 1 does not include nodes that are in the scope of the
reset to 2; the scope of the reset to 2 does not include nodes that are in the
scope of the reset to 0.

That said, I think the wording of this section should be changed to:

   However, it does not include any elements in the scope of a counter
   _with_the_same_name_ created by a 'counter-reset' on a later sibling of the
   element or by a later 'counter-reset' on the same element.

(note addition of "with the same name"; without that I don't believe the spec is
saying what it wants to be saying).

-Boris