Re: Proposal: Allow Support for Multiple External Style Sheets with Limited Scope

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:59:47 +0200 (MEST)
To: "Lonnie Best" <w3@startport.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

> I propose "markup support" for a new styling property that would
> allow embedded and inline style attributes the ability to call upon
> an external style sheet that's scope is the same as if the styling
> properties were embedded or inlined in the markup.

This is already specified in the "Complete style sheet 'style' attribute
profile" [1]:

"Importing a style sheet to apply as a scoped style sheet:

  style="@import url(navigationstyles.css);">...</div>

[...] scoped style sheets (the use of @import which applies the referenced
style sheet to the subdocument consisting of the element and its children
with the element as the root, example 4)."

Editors: Please note that there are at least two spelling mistakes in the
draft - it is "applies" instead of "apples" and "<div class="navigation" />"
instead of "<div class="navigation"> />" (I fixed both of them in the
citation).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css-style-attr#complete

--
Jens Meiert