Re: Is There a Problem?

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:07:18 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 7/6/05, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> Orion Adrian wrote:
> > On 7/5/05, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >>Yes, you are, so long as you use a vendor prefix, e.g.
> >>
> >>   -orion-layout: rect(0,0,100%,100%);
> >
> > But then the only way to remove the -orion- part is to get it approved
> > by the W3C. Frankly, I don't think it's very usable to have all my
> > properties start out with the same text.
>
> Would you rather you were allowed to define properties without any
> prefix?  Say, for example, you define and implement a 'layout' property
> in your own system.  Then what happens when the CSSWG decides that they
> want to introduce a 'layout' property aswell, but need to define it
> differently from the way you've implemented it?
>
> --
> Lachlan Hunt
> http://lachy.id.au/

This is a problem because CSS can apply to any language. If CSS's
scope were limited with each language specifying it's own properties
there wouldn't be a conflict.

It's a different approach. It would be a move away from "any property
for any element" to "a set of properties for a set of elements".

--

Orion Adrian