Re: The Progress of CSS

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:45:56 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 7/3/05, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > The core difference here is that using reflector they could look at
> > the actual soure and duplicate it. Microsoft did the work up front and
>
> .NET reflection cannot give you the source.  If it could there would
> be a lot of commercial developers panicing and buying code obfuscators.

Have you seen it. It's pretty scary how close it can get. By the way
Visual Studio ships with a code obfuscator (also freely downloadable).
I've seen Reflector reverse engineer code and it's freaking spooky.
.Net encodes a lot of metadata including names of fields, methods and
classes.

> I would be surprised if unsassembling the intermediate language code
> was allowed by the licence and probably goes beyond the EEC dispensations
> on reverse engineering (which are often assumed to be more permissive
> than they are).

Well even if it's not ok, Microsoft isn't suing anyone. I think they
like the idea of it being ported.

Orion Adrian