Re: Is There a Problem?

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Orion Adrian wrote:
> On 7/2/05, Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> >
> > As far as I can tell, implementors are currently not held back by the
> > progress of CSS.

Implementors are in fact the major contributors *to* the progress of CSS.
The majority of the active editors in the CSS working group represent
implementors of CSS UAs.

> > Had they been implementing all of CSS3 that is available now as a CR,
> > and been held back by the supposed 'slowness' of the CSS WG, then your
> > argument would have made sense.
>
> Um? Have they been implementing any of the recommendation that isn't in
> CR? If the answer is yes (I would hope they aren't implementing
> unfinished specs), then I would say they are being slowed down.

I don't understand what you mean here. Laurens' point was that the
specifications are ahead of the implementations -- no implementation has
completely implemented all existing CR and REC specifications, they all
have significant work to do before being considered complete
implementations. Thus they are not being held back by the CSS working
group's progress, they have plenty of work ahead of themselves before
they catch up with the group.

(Disclaimer: I'm a member of the group, an editor of several specs, and an
active participant of three implementations.)