Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>; <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

| On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
| >
| > If you have concerns then please tell me how following will look like in
| > CSS:

| CSS doesn't define that. It's a source of great frustration to the working
| group, but we have yet to find someone who can actually specify it, sadly.

| > | I have no idea what "treated as undefined" means. Nothing in CSS is |
| > "undefined" except if you mean "up to the UA" which is something we do
| > our | best to avoid since it only results in non-interoperable
| > behaviour.
| >
| > Does anybody else have troubles with understanding "treated as
| > undefined" ?
| >
| > "will be treated" idiom is already used in CSS, please read:
| > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html
|
| Yes, "treated as" I understand, it's the "undefined" part I have trouble
| with.

must be interpreted by user agents as undefined -
must be interpreted by user agents as having no value defined.

Whatever you like.

| > |
| > | Definition by example is not good enough for this kind of work, sorry.
| >
| > Sorry, but definition by example is widely used in science
| > and in formal logic in particular.
|
| Definition by example defines one example, it does not define the
| processing model, which is what is needed for a formal proposal.

As far as I understand we a here for
transforming ideas into formal proposals, right?

If you don't like the idea in principle - tell me, I'll understand *your*
opinion and will honour it.
But arguments "this or that are not formal enough" are not
constructive in most cases. Critisizing - propose, the only
way to reach some results in discussion, AFAIK.

| > |
| > | Uh, "inline boxes" is a defined CSS term, see, e.g., 9.2.2.
| >
| > What kind of inline boxes UA may stretch?
|
| Any inline boxes that have white-space: justify. See section 9.4.2.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#normal-flow

Did not find here neither white-space: justify mentioning
neither justify among list of valid values of white-space.

Moreover white-space as far as understand is not
about inline boxes but rather space between them.

| > This phrase literally means than UA allowed to change width
| > of <span style="width:100px">
|
| 'width' doesn't apply to inline elements.

But it does for inline-blocks. Right?

| > | Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.
fL
| > | http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._
,.
| > | Things that are impossible just take longer.
| >
| > (Do I owe you something and forgot? Why so ..umm.. sarcastic?)
|
| That's just by signature, nothing personal...

Acknowledged.

| --
| Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
| http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
| Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com