Re: Proposal: :column pseudo-class

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:45:09 +0000 (UTC)
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org

> > > The :column pseudo-class is effective on elements with display type
> > > table-cell or table-column or table-column-group only.
> >
> > The cascade happens before layout. You don't know an element's display
> > type at the time you are doing selector matching.
>
> Couldn't this problem simply be solved by removing the presentational
> attributes "colspan" and "rowspan".

The problem exists independent of the existence of the attributes
"colspan" and "rowspan".

The problem is that a cell *is not a cell yet* when doing selector
matching. Short of doing selector matching twice (once for one set of
properties, and then again for another set, with a required layout pass in
between the two steps) you simply cannot have selectors that depend on
properties. And as I explained a few days ago, doing the two-pass selector
matching simply isn't an option, as it would be a performance nightmare.