Re: CSS is doomed (10 years per version ?!?)

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:13:29 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 7/1/05, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > As for the innovation point. The only product that hasn't seen much
> > development is IE. The core components of Windows often see
> > improvement. Microsoft by no means sits still. There media player has
>
> My perception is that in the area that most overlaps with W3C, Microsoft
> have been concentrating on support for .NET "rich" clients, i.e. Common
> Language Runtime thick clients.  I assume that is because there is
> effective competition in the browser based thin client arena, and they
> would rather divert the market into one where they have the monopoly.
> My impression is also that they are mainly interested in intranet
> applications, because that is, probably, where the development tool
> money goes.

While I agree with the part of driving towards thick client. Though I
don't feel it's a bad idea if they can pull it off.

As for the developer tool money. Microsoft purposefully looses money
on them, much like the X-Box to get developers developing for X-Box.
They don't just give them away because they like to keep innovation in
the developer space. Remember Microsoft is a group of programmers
before it's a business. This strategy has been described in internal
memos from the company as well as in books and it follows well with
their pricing scheme (you can get VS and a host of server platforms
(Win 2k3, SQL Server) for under $400 or at least you used to).

Orion Adrian