Vertical alignment of container content

From: <idude@idude.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:40:40 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

I've been working towards CSS table free designs and layouts, and like
many people I used (misused) tables, however I have reached a brick wall.
The fact remains that tables allow for container contents to be
vertically aligned (top,middle,bottom).  It would be nice to do this
with something other than tables.

It would be nice to have an replacement for <td valign="bottom" ></td>
and be able to apply a style like this;

div.myclass {container-valign:bottom;
                     height:200px;
                     }

I really don't care what it's named, for example; valign-container,
valign-contents or content-valign. I realize the issues and debate of
using "vertical-alignment" because how it's currently used in CSS. But
come on, another there are other creative semantic names to use for the
vertical alignment of  container contents.  .

There are many benefits to incorporating this into the CSS
specifications.  Because HTML tables allowed designers control over both
the vertical and horizontal alignment of content, is the very reason why
people started to misuse HTML: tables for page layouts.
Appears that CSS is tailored more to horizontal layout, until this
feature become implemented.

Vertically Thinking.

Chuck Scholton
-idude@idude.net