Re: Collapsing 0 width margin; CSS version system

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Larry Israel wrote:

> > Sadly, when we are talking about billions of existing pages, making
> > changes that would break existing content is an idea that Web browser
> > vendors really can't seriously entertain. We have enough trouble with
> > people saying pages don't work right in our browsers (i.e. not working
> > like in the browser with most market share) without making it worse.
>
> That is only the case because CSS lacks a standard method of version
> control (for lack of the proper term) -- the CSS equivalent of a doctype
> declaration. Isn't that the case?

Not really. Changing behaviour based on the version is very confusing to
authors -- just look at the confusion people have over why their pages
change rendering when viewed in quirks mode vs standards mode, or for
pages sent as text/html vs pages sent as applicaiton/xhtml+xml.

> Until such versioning becomes part of the standard, knowledgable web
> authors will continue to devise and use a wide variety of CSS hacks
> [1][2][3][4]. Of course these hacks are a major pain in the butt, but
> they are considered a necessary evil, much like table layout, spacer
> gifs, and many other workarounds used to be.

These hacks work around bugs in browsers, not lack of versioning in the
spec.