Supporting propriety "Extensions"

From: David R <david@davidr.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:54:04 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

After having a quick look through the CSS3 spec, I can't see anything
relating to the support of 3rd party and propriety "extensions" on the
standard.

Rather than shun existing extensions, such as MSIE's "Behaviour:;"
property, shouldn't there be some way to accomodate these within the
spec provided they adhere to some kind of syntax?

I think the existing de-facto standard of prefixing non-standard
properties with a hypthen works well enough as it is. Perhaps prefixing
propriety selectors with a hyphen too?

I often use IE's "DirectX Filters" in my CSS to make the experience more
aesthetically pleasing to IE users (but rest assured I don't make the
site dependent on the effects provided), and I would like to continue
exploiting these features well into CSS3 without causing the validator
to throw an error.

--
-David R