Re: [css-background] Best method to submit proposal

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 02:16:28PM -0700, Ben Curtis wrote:

> I've considered the background module for a couple months now, and have
> found a handful of real-world use cases that currently exist that will
> be made more difficult or impossible through the multiple-background
> syntax as it stands. I believe I can propose a new syntax for
> multiple-backgrounds that works in these cases and (I believe) in the
> cases the current background proposal works in.

That sounds scary :-) Please tell me more.

> What is the best way for me to bring these ideas to the list? I hardly
> want to spend a lot of my time composing something that wastes your
> time. Is a thorough post on the matter best? Or a static web-page with
> on-list discussion, a la the recently-cited
> http://blog.ben-ward.co.uk/archive/2004/12/21/css3_required_properties
> ? I understand that adhering to existing syntax/grammar when possible
> is best and maybe necessary, but does it help (or hurt!) to mimc the
> presentation of the spec?

Hard to say without knowing the proposal :-)

I wouldn't spend too much time on making the proposal look like a W3C
specification.

A Web page is the place if you have already worked out many details,
which would be too long for an e-mail. But put some representative
parts or a summary in an e-mail to this list as well. Many people will
not have the time to go and read the Web page but still like to get
the flavour.

Bert