Re: [css-background] Best method to submit proposal

On Apr 11, 2005, at 2:56 PM, Bert Bos wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 02:16:28PM -0700, Ben Curtis wrote:
>>
>> I've considered the background module for a couple months now, and
>> have
>> found a handful of real-world use cases that currently exist that will
>> be made more difficult or impossible through the multiple-background
>> syntax as it stands. I believe I can propose a new syntax for
>> multiple-backgrounds that works in these cases and (I believe) in the
>> cases the current background proposal works in.
>
> That sounds scary :-) Please tell me more.

Not too scary. Multiple backgrounds are a complex and powerful idea,
and any solution is likely to be thorny. This is a matter of choosing
some less-pointy thorns to brush up against, I suspect. If there is an
archive (aside from the mailing list) or rejected ideas on multiple
backgrounds, I'd appreciate reading them.

Most of what I feel I can bring to the CSS discussion hinges on
multiple authorship -- my use cases are more about how people work
together to style a site, rather than how a particular document can be
styled by an author. Sometimes the specs seem biased toward creating
the tools for a singular author, when the tools would be slightly
different in nature if considered for teams of authors (e.g., see the
thread about more strongly separating layout from style, starting with
Mark Moore, embedded in the pseudo-container thread).

I suspect development teams are a more likely future once CSS-only
layouts get past the early-adopter phase. So I hope to point out where
teams are going to stumble when a singular author wouldn't. If this is
a notion the WG has recognized and perhaps addressed before, I would
appreciate any pointers or urls to peruse.

> A Web page is the place if you have already worked out many details,
> which would be too long for an e-mail. But put some representative
> parts or a summary in an e-mail to this list as well. Many people will
> not have the time to go and read the Web page but still like to get
> the flavour.

Thanks for the advice. I'm heading off to Italy for a much delayed
vacation, so I hope to think very little of selectors and urls for a
few weeks. When I return, I hope this is something I can put the right
amount of time into.

--

	Ben Curtis : webwright
	bivia : a personal web studio