Re: Percentage height meaurements.

On 5/27/04 5:22 PM, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Tantek Çelik wrote:
>> At least two working implementations already exist (IE5/Mac and Opera 7.5),
>> and Mozilla implements box-sizing with alternate syntax.
>
> I'm sorry, but what Mozilla supports is rather different from what's described
> in the CSS3 UI CR in a variety of ways (mostly related to
> min/max-width/height).

Hopefully there's a bug filed against Mozilla to fix the support, now that
'box-sizing' in a CR.

> Further, what's described in the CSS3 UI CR has some conflicts with the CSS2.1
> CR (conflicts with the spirit, not the letter) [1].
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004May/0220.html

We implemented both box-sizing and min/max-width/height in MSN/MacOSX and
did not encounter any such conflicts.  So I disagree.

> All that apart, I note that you said two "working" implementations, not two
> "interoperable" ones.

The examples of 'box-sizing' that I've tried in the two implementations do
interoperate.

> I'm not sure that publishing a book and including a
> property that is not guaranteed to remain in the specification (since the only
> such guarantee would be demonstrating two interoperable implementations, and
> that hasn't been done yet) is the wisest course of action to take for an
> author
> who presumably wishes not to lose credibility...

Based on what evidence?

Are you an author and have you done so and lost credibility?

Much *much* worse (obviously wrong) has been published by numerous
"acclaimed" authors (some of whom you will even find on W3C lists, some may
even be invited experts in one or more W3C working groups), and none of them
have seen any sort of significant blow to their credibility, if any.

Tantek