Re: vertical-align

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:54:13 -0700
To: "Anne van Kesteren (fora)" <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Cc: "W3C Style List" <www-style@w3.org>

Thanks, Anne,

> > 1) To allow use of 'auto' value in padding attributes. So to align
container
> > content to bottom author may use:
> > padding-top:auto; in container's style.
>
> Isn't going to work. (Incosistent)

Could you provide any examples of inconsistency? Or any links to previous
discussions ? (keywords would be enough)

> > 1-%%) To introduce %% units (sorry) as a most generic solution of
vertical
> > (and horizontal) auto positioning.
>
> Isn't going to work. (Not solid)

Shall I make a "solid" form of proposal?
Any interest in %% stuff? Is it worth doing at all?

> > 2) To introduce content-vertical-align attribute for any arbitrary
block. I
> > don't like it personally. Too many inconsitencies.
>
> Isn't going to work. (Not solid)

Agreed.

> 'position:center' has been proposed a while ago in this list [1].
>
> [1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Jan/0218.html>

position: center
as far as I can see it is about automatic absolute positioning and has
nothing common with block content
alignment.
And no position: bottom, etc.

Andrew Fedoniouk.