Re: where is overflow:none ?

From: Anne van Kesteren (fora) <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:42:47 +0200
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> Here http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-box-20021024/#the-width I can
> see only: [Idea by David Baron: add keyword values 'intrinsic' and
> 'min-intrinsic' to force an element to have its intrinsic or minimum
> width.]
>
> And as far as I understand latin word 'intrinsic' in given context is
> about properties of 'solid' objects e.g. intrincis image width.

I'm getting bored by your e-mails. Could you please read the
specifications instead of making assumptions?

>>> and set its initial value to none.
>>
>> That won't happen, because the current default is interoperably
>> implemented.
>
> Also negative.
>
> Traditionaly and practicly all UA's try to render HTML as
> overflow:none set by default.

And how can you be so sure that you know it better than a member of the
CSS WG?

> Load <HTML> <P>IAmPrettyLongUnbreakableWord</P> </HTML> in any
> browser and see by yourself the default behaviour.

If I add a style rule to that:

   p{
    width:1em;
    background:lime;
   }

I can assure you that *most* browsers will not paint the complete
background of the *word* in green, only the first (two/three) letter(s).

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>