Re: CSS Gradients

From: Anne van Kesteren (fora) <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 06:45:03 +0200
To: ernestcline@mindspring.com
Cc: W3C CSS List <www-style@w3.org>

Ernest Cline wrote:

> As I had threatened to do, I've put together a proposal for
> adding linear gradients in CSS.  I've uploaded it to
>   http://ernestcline.home.mindspring.com/CSS_Gradients.html
> and I think I've covered everything that would be relevant to
> adding linear gradients for style in a CSS context.
>
> I've left three open issues:
>
> Issue 1: A separate layout layer for gradients or not?
> Issue 2: Other types of gradients?
> Issue 3: Free rotation of background and foreground gradients?
>
> Altho I have given what I feel the preferable answer should be.
> Let me know if you have any questions about the proposal,
> or if you think that anything remains unclear or underspecified

One question, why not something like:

  gradient()

To be a part of <color>

Some examples:

  color:gradient(bt,#000,#fff);

  background-color:gradient(lr,red,lime);

  border-top:thin solid gradient(rl,#333,#999);

Etc.

This would reduce the amount of properties that are introduced, while
making it "forward compatible" with new instances of <color>.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>