Re: Colour gradient backgrounds.

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:27:35 -0700
To: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
Cc: "Max Romantschuk" <max@provico.fi>, <www-style@w3.org>

Hi, Chris,

(don't shoot, I agree that SVG is a best choice from feature set point of
view)

> AF> But images for gradient fill are not so good to be compressed
effectively.

> This is incorrect. Even for raster images, PNG and to an extent JPEG
> are able to compress a vertical gradient well and a horizontal
> gradient moderately well. GIF can't, but, well, its not a very good
> format.

I agree. I am using "not so good" which I guess means "good, but not
perfect".
Good for vertical gradients. Not so good for any other types of gradients.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

PS: Have you seen site of Max Shemanarev http://www.antigrain.com/  and his
SVG renderer?