Re: Colour gradient backgrounds.

On Monday, May 10, 2004, 7:10:12 PM, Max wrote:

MR> Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>
>>> background-color:
>>> gradient(colorTopLeft,colorTopRight,colorBottomLeft,colorBottomRight)
>>
>> That's still not very generic. A good way to do that would be to simply
>> use SVG. It'll do the job very well.

MR> I agree. Introducing this into CSS would create unnecessary
MR> redundancies. CSS should allow for styling, but actual graphical
MR> elements (like a non-solid colored background) is best kept in images.

MR> It's a shame that SVG support is still rather poor, but I don't believe
MR> CSS is a sensible place to put gradients.

Well, its no more poor than CSS support is poor - its just implemented
in different products. This is starting to change, though, with UAs
that support both CSS box model styling (eg, of XHTML) and SVG
improving. Konqueror and Firebird spring to mind.

The situation could be improved by having an 'integration' test
suite that tests SVG/XHTML mixtures in various ways, and specifically
by testing SVG image support in CSS with background images.

(And I agree that starting to add gradients to CSS is a slippery
slope).

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group