Re: Colour gradient backgrounds.

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:50:15 +0200
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: "Max Romantschuk" <max@provico.fi>, www-style@w3.org

On Monday, May 10, 2004, 9:27:35 PM, Andrew wrote:

AF> Hi, Chris,

AF> (don't shoot, I agree that SVG is a best choice from feature set
AF> point of view)

And flexibility, and image size. But mainly for being already specced,
tested and implemented unlike any proposed CSS addition.

>> AF> But images for gradient fill are not so good to be compressed
AF> effectively.
>>
>> This is incorrect. Even for raster images, PNG and to an extent JPEG
>> are able to compress a vertical gradient well and a horizontal
>> gradient moderately well. GIF can't, but, well, its not a very good
>> format.

AF> I agree. I am using "not so good" which I guess means "good, but
AF> not perfect". Good for vertical gradients. Not so good for any
AF> other types of gradients.

Not true, PNG filtering will do pretty well on a horizontal gradient
with the 'difference' filter.

AF> PS: Have you seen site of Max Shemanarev
AF> http://www.antigrain.com/  and his
AF> SVG renderer?
AF> Just for your information.

I hadn't, thanks for the link. Its a demo of a library, rather than
trying to implement much of SVG, but good  libraries are scarce and
this one has some nice, high quality features.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group