Re: Useragent Rules in CSS

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:12:21 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> various CSS features on and off.  A checkbox for @supports(text-decoration:
> blink) jumps out immediately.  A numeric value for @supports(font-size <

Already supported by !important rules (although getting enough selector
specificity may be a problem when trying to cancel an unknown style sheet).

> 4pt) would be very helpful against that particular kind of spam that uses
> 1px-high text to throw off Bayesian anti-spam tools.  A designer's nightmare

This requires a minimum font size attribute.  That is actually needed
for a large proportion of commercial web pages even from relatively main
stream organisations.  I started disabling designer font sizes some time
ago because of excessive use of small sizes, although some pages then
become unreadable because of overlaps.

> - but a user's paradise.

User's already have some of these capabilities, but only the truly
computer literate know it.  They do provide a problem for any
designer who wants to compensate, though, as even a supports or all
or nothing rule is likely to consider the features to be working
in the browser.